Hearty, mouth-watering meaty treats or dry, tasteless morsels with questionable ingredients? There’s no doubt in our (or your dog’s!) mind when it comes to deciding which is the tastier, all around better, choice. We’ve made it our mission to create healthy, snout-licking, tail-wagging products for dogs.
What are Jerky Treats and Why Should You Consider Them?
Jerky is defined as “meat that has been cured by being cut into long, thin strips and dried” and typically made from chicken, beef, or a variety of game meats. When it comes to jerky, it is essentially pure meat, so it proves to be a healthy snack for dogs. Delicious, high in protein, and low in fat, what’s not to love?
Jerky is also usually made from dehydrated by-products such as the heart, gullet, and lung. This makes it a more sustainable treat option by ensuring no part of the animal ever goes to waste. At O.T.I.S., sustainability is a fundamental, driving force within our company. When looking for any dog products, jerky or not, we highly recommend researching the company and understanding their values. Oftentimes, sustainable values align with a higher-quality product, due to following strict regulatory rules.
For our jerky treats, we use sustainable, farm-raised, and grass-fed elk, bison, and venison. Our jerky bags are made with 50% bio-based materials, are 100% recyclable, and made with 100% renewable wind energy. If sustainability is something you consider important when shopping for your pup, jerky may be the perfect match for you and your dog!
What are the Benefits of Giving your Dog Jerky Treats?
- Jerky is extremely high in protein, which is an important component to a healthy dog lifestyle. Protein can help to support the production of hormones and enzymes, muscle growth, and maintaining a healthy skin and coat
- Depending on the on the type of protein, jerky can be extremely lean and may consist of over 85% high-quality protein
- Jerky is typically one ingredient or very few simple ingredients. This can help dog owners know exactly what they’re feeding their pet and have more control over their diet
Understanding Different Types of Jerky Treats for Dogs
When choosing a jerky treat for your dog, it’s important to consider the types of protein source used.
- Elk: Elk meat is leaner than beef, with similar taste and texture; it is an excellent lean protein and iron source
- Venison: Venison, or deer, meat is good for dogs as it is low in fat and cholesterol. It’s a healthier protein source for dogs compared to other pet food proteins such as beef or chicken. Other than that, venison has high nutritional content packed in its meaty deliciousness
Bison: Bison meat is considered an excellent alternative to beef due to its high protein content, B vitamins, and minerals like selenium which may have anti-inflammatory effects
Chicken: Chicken, while lean and protein-packed, is considered a common allergen for dogs
Beef: Beef is generally safe for dogs to eat, provided that it comes from a single dried meat source and does not contain any additives or preservatives that may be unsafe for dogs
Another important aspect is to check the ingredient list and avoid any treats that contain artificial ingredients or preservatives. For example, our jerky is:
- GMO free
- Free from hormones and antibiotic
- Contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Elk, bison, or venison is always listed as the first ingredient
With so many treat options out there, it can feel overwhelming choosing one that checks all of your boxes. Our best advice is to research the company, choose treats with simple and real ingredients, and follow any feeding directions regarding your dog’s size and weight.
If you are curious about our dog jerky treats, give our soft and hearty elk, venison, and bison Wild Things a try. Once your dog tastes our treats, we promise they’ll vouch for us!